What is Your Favorite (Raster) Format?

sun27

Üye
Kayıt
23 Şubat 2021
Mesaj
Tepki
I have seen a discussion arise several times and I wonder - when you have to work with something in raster format, which one do you prefer and why?

For me, when I do web graphics, I go straight to PNG's; At least when I started working in pixel art, it was the cleanest and clearest option for me with the transparency available, and I never had enough trouble looking for an alternative.

For printing, I mostly use JPEG - but to be honest, I couldn't tell why except that's what I was told when I started working, and I kept doing it that way. I know there are compression issues, but I don't know enough to have enough opinions to switch about other formats.

Of course, I'm still relatively green, so there's a chance I was very, very wrong about something. That's why I'm curious!

Kayıt
3 Ağustos 2009
Mesaj
Tepki
Hello there,
File formats are an important issue for every designer. While these issues are less for the web, you have to be very careful for printing. Because the formats you will use for printing may not return to you as you see on the screen.
Returning to your question, we should never use the jpeg format for printing! Because jpeg is actually a compression algorithm. Compression is not used for printing, it cannot be done.
The most suitable format for printing jobs is tiff. You should never compress it when converting to tiff format. Every compression algorithm involves serious risks. Even when converting your print file to pdf format, you should put "none" mark on all compression procedures in the "compression" tab.

Tuncer OZKAN
Istanbul-Kosuyolu

Yukarı Alt